|
Čeština (Česká republika)English (United Kingdom)
Zbraslavice & environs PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
Zbraslavice & environs
Kutnohorsko
Posázaví
All Pages

 

Posázaví

The times when Sázava belonged mainly to rafters and after trampers are gone. However, most of the romantic atmosphere of the old times of this river and surrounding scenery has been maintained. The history breathes at many beautiful sights such are proud mansions, ancient churches and monasteries, and we can also learn a lot from museum exhibitions. It is worth visiting any of the castle parks or hill Blaník or hill Medník. 

Jílové u Prahy (town)

Jílové u Prahy

It is historical city famous for gold mining. The highlight of the city fame was during the reign of Luxembourg in the 14th century. After the devastation of mines during the Hussite Wars and the Thirty Years' War came the decline. Gold mining had been maintained with little breaks until 1968 when it was definitely cancelled. The settlement near gold mines was promoted to the royal mining town. Concurrently, a mint was established there. In the square there is early gothic church of St. Adalbert from 13th century, rebuilt into Baroque, with valuable art decoration. In front of the church there is house called Mince, former mint, today it is museum with rich exposition of the history of the region, gold mining and the history of trampers (tramping). Hall of Jílové, originally a Gothic storeyed building with three-storey tower, now has a Baroque appearance of 1724. In the city surroundings there are many old stoles.

Jílové u Prahy Jílové u Prahy 

Hradištko - Medník

Hradištko - Medník

It is recreational urban area above the confluence of the Vltava and Sázava rivers. There is romantic trail in the wild rocky terrain at which you can walk on foot upstream Sázava. From the valley of the nature trail (leads from Pikovice) can then be marked off at the top of a large Mednik (417 m), the famous site of rare lily plants “Kandík Canine Tooth”, but also protected yew, etc.

Hradištko - Medník Hradištko - Medník 

Týnec nad Sázavou (town)

Týnec nad Sázavou

It is a city in a picturesque location mainly on the left bank of Sázava river, industrial and resort centre with many sights. In 1818 there was opened a factory for stoneware (abolished in 1866). In 30s and 20s there was opened branch plant of Jawa company. On the hill above the road in a dominant position there is one of the few Romanesque castles in Bohemia, with a castle rotunda of the early 12th century, a square stone tower of the 1st 13th century and a new Gothic palace wing. The castle burned in 1654 and stared to dilapidate. Later on, all the buildings were used for the manufacture stoneware and stables. Now the whole area is reconstructed, there is a museum in the new palace wing with exposition of the local pottery. In the centre of the town a classical palatial house of former pottery manufacture was preserved.

Týnec nad Sázavou Týnec nad Sázavou 

Konopiště

Konopiště

Romantic castle, one of the most famous and the most visited historical sight in Bohemia, was originally a type of French castle. The castle was founded at the end of 13th century, since 1327 it was owned by Sternberg. Gradually it was rebuilt into a renaissance castle, after 1716 if was rebuilt into a baroque castle with a gate according to the plans of F.M. Kaňka with statues by M.B. Braun, etc. In 1887 the domain was bought by Ferdinand d’Este, future heir to the throne, and together it was rebuilt into family residence in romantic style by the architect J. Rocker. Concurrently, an English park with an area of 225 ha was created. In the castle chambers Ferdinand centered museum collections, especially set of weapons, hunting trophies and collection of St. George’s museum. Castle with seven towers preserved the appearance of early Gothic castle after all renovations. In the interiors there are representative salons and rich collection of artworks.

Konopiště Konopiště 

Benešov

City on the old trade route between Prague and South Bohemia, reminded the early 13 century, is named after its founder Beneš, and later owned by the Catholic Sternberg. Among all historical sights exceeds early gothic three-aisled basilica of St. Nicholas in Karlov, rebuilt between 14.-17 century, with valuable internal decorations and devices (M.B. Braun, I. Raab). High reminders of a former monastery church of the Minor from the half of 13th century, devastated in 1420 by Hussites. Piarist college with a church of St. Anna from years 1703 to 1717 by G. B. Alliprandi.

Benešov Benešov 

Jemniště

Jemniště castle

Palatial mansion on the outskirts of the village near the road from Benešov to Vlašim built in the years 1717-1725 by F.M. Kaňka for the genus of Trauttmannsdorf. After a fire in 1754 it was repaired in Rococo style. The building in the shape of the letter H consists of seven buildings with large courtyard in the west and French garden in the east. The main hall vestibule of the central wing is decorated with rococo ceiling painting by F.A. Scheffler, baroque chapel fresco by V.V. Reiner and sculptures by M.B. Braun. From 1868 to 1943 Jemniště belonged to Sternbergs who complemented interiors, by 1989 the castle returned in restitution to George Sternberg. In the interior there is contemporary furniture and art collection is housed in the image gallery.

Jemniště castle Jemniště castle 

Vlašim

It is a centre of Podblanicko. Since 1580, the city on both sides of the river Blanice, originated from two settlements above the Gothic castle, of which has been preserved part of the north wing with a cylindrical tower. Later on, the castle was rebuilt into renaissance castle, which was during serf uprising (1626-1627) carried by rebellious dependants, who burned it and hanged captured provincial governor. Later, all the objects were reconstructed; today, there is a museum with natural history collection, collection of baroque statues of saints and exposition of hunting and sports marksmanship. During the time of Auersperg (1744-1945) an English park was founded in 1775 in the valley Blanice of 60 hectares with romantic buildings (Chinese pavilion, an old castle, etc.). There are three massive neo-Gothic entrance gates to the park from the first 19th century. Near the castle there is a late Gothic church of St. Jiljí from 1522-1523 and baroque deanery. 

Vlašim Vlašim 

Louňovice pod Blaníkem, Velký Blaník

Louňovice pod Blaníkem

It is a town with a baroque-renaissance castle at place of Premonstratensian convent of 12th century, destroyed by the Hussites. In the castle there is a museum with expositions dedicated to the history of Louňovicko area and Podblanicko area. At the common there is gothic church of St. Wenceslas rebuilt into baroque appearance. East of the village, there are rising wooded peaks of the Great (638 m) and Small (580 m) Blaník, separated by a seat, where is a road. From the saddle (parking) it is possible to reach the summit of the mountain, shrouded in legends of the Czech army, led by St. Wenceslas, who all sleep inside the mountain and will come to help Czech country when it is worst. Today, there is wooden view-tower in the shape of Hussite warning post from 1940, around it there are traces of Celtic fort ramparts of 3rd century BC. Knight rocks which are nearby, are hiding the alleged entrance to the underground.

Observation - Blaník Observation - Blaník 

Zruč nad Sázavou

Zruč nad Sázavou

Domination of the town is a castle surrounded by a park on a bluff above the river, originally a Gothic castle from the 14th century, owned by Kolovrats, later on rebuilt in Renaissance style in the 16th century and damaged by fire in 1781. At the end of 19th century it was rebuilt in neo-gothic style according to the plans of J. Velrych, equipped with contemporary interiors (opened to the public). In the park there were preserved neo- gothic portions of the outer artillery fortifications, in the west of the castle there are remains of the old castle, the remains of bastions and towers of the original castle. Church of the Holy Cross is a Gothic church from 13th century, with a new ship from the Baroque period after 1781.

Zruč nad Sázavou Zruč nad Sázavou 

Český Šternberk

Český Šternberk

Český Šternberk is one of the most picturesquely located and best preserved medieval strongholds in the Czech Republic. It was a residency of the old Czech ancestry of Sternberg with hexagram (star) in blue field in their crest. Its founder was Zdeslav, son of Diviš from Divišov, living around the year 1241. During the reign of Jiří (George) of Poděbrady in 15th century the stronghold was held by George’s arch enemy and leader of rebel Union Zelenohorská – Zdeněk Konopišťský from Šternberk, whose strongholds were gradually conquered by the royal military. Later, the stronghold was repaired and separate fortifications with massive tower were added. Gradually, the area was expanded, so the original division was covered, and stronghold silhouette now looks more monolithically. In the first half of 18th century, so-called “Bottom castle” was built near the entrance gateway, which was used as an administrative building. Until 1712 and again between 1841 and 1949 Šternberk stronghold was held by Sternberg. After 1989 Zdeněk Sternberg received the stronghold back in restitution. Richly decorated interiors with collections of the ancestry (collection of more than 500 copperplate engravings of the Thirty Years' War) were preserved.

Český Šternberk Český Šternberk 

Rataje nad Sázavou

Rataje nad Sázavou

Originally Trhavá village, which was firstly mentioned in 1290, before 1338 it was fortified town called Rataje Hrazené, and today it is favourite recreational area on a rocky promontory surrounded by river. A specialty of the town was two strongholds from the 14th century – the bottom one was called Pirkštejn which was preserved almost in its original form with 15 metres high tower, gate and palace (used as rectory since 1724). The upper stronghold, preventing the entry from the east, was modified into renaissance-gothic castle with arcaded courtyard. Today there is a museum of central Posázaví (area near Sázava river).  On the square there is early baroque church of St. Martin from 1675-1691 with richly shaped western façade.

Rataje nad Sázavou Rataje nad Sázavou 

Sázava

According to a legend about the birth of the famous monastery in Sázava, national culture sight, a hermit called Prokop, who lived in a cave at the right bank of the river, once met duke Oldřich and persuaded him to build a monastery there. He himself then became its first abbot and was lately canonized. The monastery was owned by Benedictines, using the Slavonic liturgy, following the Cyril and Metoděj tradition of Great Morava. Sazáva became a far-famed centre of Slavic education. In 1097 the Slavonic liturgy in Sázava was ended, Benedictines of Latin rite. The monastery was rebuilt into Romanesque in 12th century and after 1315 into Gothic. After the fire in 1747 all the objects were restored in baroque form. In 1785 the monastery was closed and rebuilt into Neo-Renaissance castle. The recovery of the whole area had taken place with little intermissions until 1940, when it was finally finished. The most valuable part of the complex is gothic chapter hall from 14th century with remarkable wall paintings. The masonry of the ship, which is in unfinished Gothic church of St. Procopius with pillars, arcades and square tower (whose presbytery acts as its own church) looks very impressively. In the monastery garden there are uncovered foundations of a circular pre-Romanesque Rotunda of the Holy Cross with four apses from 1070. In the town Sázava, there is gothic church of St. Martin. Since 19th century, the township has been important centre of glass industry closely connected with the family of Kavalier. Today, the glassworks are specialized in the manufacture of technical glass.

Sázava Sázava monastery 

Ondřejov

In the centre of the town, favourite resort in lower Posázaví, there is a Romanesque church of St. Simon and Jude from the first half of 13th century with prismatic tower. Later on, it was rebuilt many times, the latest is baroque rectory from 1778 and on the square there are many baroque houses (n.d. 15 from 1691). In 1898, an observatory was established by Josef Jan Frič (son of famous revolutionist J.V. Frič) at the top of Žalov above Ondřejov town. In 1928 he dedicated the observatory to the Czech state. Ondřejov town became famous centre of astronomical research in Bohemia and in 1954 it was included in ČSAV. The observatory studies the high atmosphere, solar physics, space research, etc. The largest telescope made in 1967 has a diameter of 2 m and weighs 8.7 tons. In 1998 a museum was established in the older part of the observatory, where you can see historical documents (documents about the history of the observatory and biography of its founder, etc.) and devices. At the nearby hill Pecný (546m) there is an geodetic observatory.

Ondřejov Ondřejov observatory 

Hrusice

Hrusice town is a birthplace of painter, illustrator and writer Josef Lada and also a setting for his charming fairy tales for children. Dominant monument is originally Romanesque church of St. Václav from the first half of 13th century with well-preserved original portal adapted in Baroque. Some houses on the village square have late baroque gables. There is also very famous pub U Sejků. At the place of demolished cottage of Josef Lada, there is a family house with plaque. In the house n.d. 115 at the road to Hrušov town, there is Lada memorial with drawings, illustrations and many artists’ personal objects.

Church in Hrusice Night view on church in Hrusice Lada's Hrusice 

Průhonice

Průhonice castle had many opportunities to appear in fairy tale movies as an impressive external scene. Originally Romanesque castle with well-preserved church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary from 1187 was expanded into gothic castle with turrets and a massive tower. Later on it was rebuilt into renaissance castle and after 1885 it was modified in a romantic Neo-Renaissance style, designed by J. Stibral. Even more famous is nearby Castle Park, which is one of the most important pieces of the European garden architecture constructed gradually after 1885 by A.E. Sylva Taroucca on an area of 240 ha. Landscaped park with a number of domestic and exotic species, specialized collections, alpine, etc. forms a harmonious entity unrelated to the surrounding landscape. The main attraction is 7,000 rhododendrons. Park is interwoven with landscaped paths or tracks with a total length of about 40 km. You can learn more about the park and its founder in memorial hall in the castle.

Průhonice castle Průhonice castle 

Stvořidla

Stvořidla

The most beautiful part of the river Sázava is natural and landscape reservation Stvořidla, which is on its middle reaches. It spreads between Světlá nad Sázavou city and Ledeč nad Sázavou town, bounded by railway stops Smrčná-Vilémovice. Huge boulders are scattered in the river and on the banks. Perceptive visitor recognizes animals and mythical creatures in those stones.

The landscape here has been created in the Quaternary, when high water carved zone deep valley in granite masses of melechovský zone. Stones were getting their shapes and form for thousands years by the water and material in the flowing water. In the past, there was even bigger amount of stones. During the first Republic stones for stairs, monuments and other stone products have been mined. Even the Master Masons Josef Podpěra from Světlá nad Sázavou has been granted a one-year permission for mining and processing granite in Stvořidla. But even before that, stone mining was directed by Ledeč nad Sázavou town. For easier transport of the stone from the valley a small railway ramp was built for a short time. At the beginning of the 20th century further intervention in the untouched nature was building railway through Posázaví.

On 11th December in 1954 a railway station Stvořidla was opened. To stop further interventions in the untouched and beautiful local nature a National and landscape reserve was established. It is more than 200 hectares large area including the river bed and a narrow strip of wooded valleys on both river banks. By the flow between the boulders water is cleaned, oxidizes and so forms a natural cleaning station. Logging is banned and everything is left to Mother Nature. Forest stands are mainly made ​​up of spruce, but also beech, hornbeam, linden, maple, alder and willow. Among many rare animals which are protected you can observe European otter. Also fishermen can enjoy a trip there, they usually fish trout and chub. Svořidla are very romantic. From spring to autumn it is overflowing with life. In spring first visitors are usually watermen, if the river has the correct water level. Only the most experienced and knowledgeable of all traps in this section will ride it out dry. Members of many tramping settlements like to go there, in summer hundreds of turists go there as well.

Stvořidla Stvořidla 

Melechov

The highest peak of the whole czech part of Czech-Moravian highlands is hill Melechov (715,1.m above sea level). In the past it was called Oreb by the locals. At a distance of over 2 kilometers (away from Sázava river in Stvořidla) the elevation is more than 340 meters. The massif of the hill is formed by the coarse-grained granite. Melechov hill is significant spot of astronomical-geodetic network. Between 1824 – 1825 a „point Melechov“ was bulit there as a component of contemporary stable land register at an altitude of 708,94 meters. In 1864 Central European stage measurements took place at the place of contemporary stable land register. Point Melechov was marked by a stone with inscription: C: R: OPER: ASTR: TRIG: PRO MENS: GRAD: MED: EUROP: 1862, which means: „Imperial royal fixed point passing through the demarcated degree of central Europe in 1862“. A wooden watchtower was bulit above the stone. In 1930, this point became a part of Czechoslovak unitary trigonometric network. After this year there was built a seven-beam, sixteen meter high tower made ​​of concrete. The trigonometric point was moved to its basement. The stone with the inscription that still marked the spot, was transfered to Ledeč castle. It is still possible to see it before entering the town museum. Since 1937 it has served as a point of the basic trigonometric network. Point Melechov carries particular importance. It is used for further public land-surveying and mapping, international cooperation and national defense. Due to the special importance of this point and for its uniqueness and protection a protected area was established around it. But that was disrupted by treasure hunter Josef Mužík. He made a little excavation near the watchtower without any permission. He partially disrupted this local trigonometric point, however, he didn’t find the treasure. 

Melechov Melechov 

Želivka (water basin Švihov)

Water dam Švihov (Želivka)

Water dam Želivka
river : Želivka, fluvial km 4,290
Water dam Želivka (water basin Švihov) was bulit between 1965-1975, 4,3 kilometres above a junction of river Želivka and Sázava. Main purpouse of this work, which is integral part of water system of Želivka, is supplying the capital city Prague and the whole central Czech area with drinking-water up to 5,25 m3/s. In terms of volume of water in the storage space VD Želivka is from the perspective of the amount collected the most largest water reservoir in the Czech Republic and in Central Europe as well. Catch basin area of the river Želivka is 1178 km2. Entry to 1. sanitary protection zone is prohibited, i tis not allowed to operate hiking, water sports or sport fishing. The dam is direct, natural with upstream aluminum seals. It is established at the level of the alluvial gravels, its slopes are committed under the original terrain. Architecturally interesting landmark of composite object consists of two towers of supply, communication pillar and security shaft spillway.

Uncomplete bridget (WW the II.) Uncomplete bridge (WW the II.)

Lenght of the dam : 850 m
Width at crown : 7 m
The height of the dam : 58,30 m
Flooded area : 1432 ha
Lenght of back water : 38 km

 



 

Partners


Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$folder in /mnt/data/accounts/l/lkzbweby/data/www/lkzb.cz/intraweb/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 28

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$name in /mnt/data/accounts/l/lkzbweby/data/www/lkzb.cz/intraweb/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 28

Notice: getimagesize(): Read error! in /mnt/data/accounts/l/lkzbweby/data/www/lkzb.cz/intraweb/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 28

Warning: Division by zero in /mnt/data/accounts/l/lkzbweby/data/www/lkzb.cz/intraweb/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 39

Warning: Division by zero in /mnt/data/accounts/l/lkzbweby/data/www/lkzb.cz/intraweb/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 43

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$folder in /mnt/data/accounts/l/lkzbweby/data/www/lkzb.cz/intraweb/modules/mod_random_image/helper.php on line 53

Contacts

Partners

RocketTheme Joomla Templates